Leading the New Literacies
Series Editor by Heidi Hayes Jacobs
School must prepare 21st century students to complete in a global society- a world in which cultures, economies, and people are continuously connected. It is the job of the educator to make sure students are equipped to meet this challenge. In the Contemporary Perspectives on Literacy series, editor Heidi Hayes Jacobs and a team of authors from around the globe explore the three new literacies- global literacy, media literacy, and digital literacy.
Leading the New Literacies explores how to shift to digital, media, and global (DMG) project-based learning and create engaged, energized, and globally competent teachers and students. The book also offers case studies showing how schools have integrated the new literacies with traditional print literacy.
Using this book, K-12 educators will learn how to:
- Learn how to bring digital, media, and global literacies into their curriculum
- Examine the effects of school leaders’ attitudes as they grapple with the implications of the new literacies
- Equip students with the skills to think critically about digital sources of information
- Learn how and where to find new forms of media that students can safely use as learning tools
- Understand the skills and attributes that characterize global competence and global awareness
- Learn strategies and set realistic goals for system wide implementation of the new literacies